Manor Farm Riding School Code of Conduct - Updated May 2023
• I understand that being near horses and riding at any standard, has an inherent risk and that all horses may react unpredictably on occasions. Our horses are carefully selected to do the job of
teaching people to ride but please understand that horses have the ability to react unpredictably at any time.
• I understand that I may fall off and could be injured. I accept that risk.
• I understand that instructions are given to protect health, safety and welfare of clients, staff, the
public and the horses.
I agree to follow instructions given to me by staff and instructors while onsite and/or under
I understand that the establishment will make decisions based on information I give them and
agree to always be honest and volunteer information about, my height, weight, abilities, riding
experience and any previous riding accidents.
• I must declare any medical condition(s) which may affect my ability to ride and ongoing
changes to my condition(s) and medication (including possible side effects).
• I reserve the right not to ride or interact with a horse allocated to me and may request a change of instructor.
• I agree to wear a secured riding hat with the current appropriate safety standard which can be found on https://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/documents/safety/2020/2020-bhs-international- approvals-hat-guide-v1.ashx?la=en (hats can be hired but we recommend having your own as soon as possible)
• I must wear appropriate footwear which must be a boot with a smooth sole and a small heel. (Boot hire is available) Riding tops must cover the shoulders and legs must be fully covered.
• I understand that body protector may reduce the severity of an injury should an accident
• I understand that the establishment may refuse my request to ride or participate in any activity for safety or operational reasons.
• I understand that jumping carries enhanced risk over and above general riding.
All accidents must be reported to a member of staff and be recorded at the time on the online system.
• Details of injuries requiring professional medical attention should be reported to ‘The manager' as soon as possible, so the appropriate forms RIDDOR can be completed.
• I understand that children are at particular risk around horses and agree that I will keep children that I am responsible for under close supervision when they are not under the supervision of an instructor.
• Visitor’s dogs are NOT permitted on site unless by arrangement.
• No smoking or vaping onsite
• Photos/Video recording is prohibited unless consent is given on the day. We take safeguarding
seriously and we do NOT allow the filming of lessons.
• If less than 24 hours notice is given you will not be refunded. Cancellations can made online
under ‘my bookings’
Welfare of our horses
WE HAVE A STRICT WEIGHT LIMIT ON THE HORSES. Please understand that we have the
right to ask you to weigh and measure before riding.
We will not tolerate any abuse to the horse at any time
We have a maximum workload criteria for each horse.
Horses will only be used if fit for work and with the correct conditions
Tack is constantly checked for fit and faults.
Horses are all up to date with vaccinations, dentals and have a physio when needed.
Horses will be withdrawn from a lesson if they become unwell or injured